Saturday, December 25, 2010

{1 in 200,000}

1 in 200,000.  This is the average number of women that are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.  548 women per day.  When you think of 1 in 200,000 your odds seem kind of slim to be that one.  Really, think about being one person in a city of 200,000 people.  You alone can seem like a pretty insignificant person when you think of the whole...until you are that one.  Wednesday I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Ductal Carcinoma in Situ, DCIS, a non-invasive early stage of breast cancer that is localized in the breast ducts. Shock. Numbness. Empty. Surreal. These are all things that Tony and I felt when I got off the phone with my doctor.  My doctor's first words to me were "don't panic, it is localized and is a very early stage of cancer".  Within about two hours I got a call back from my doctor's receptionist to set up an appointment the next morning with the breast doctor at the Bass Breast Center at the hospital and then a call from a wonderful woman, Sandy, at the women's clinic where I had my mammogram, ultrasound and biopsies.  I've been telling people she is like the "mom" at the women's clinic.  She makes sure you are "ok", gives gentle consults, keeps your family informed in the waiting room, is present when you arrive at the breast center, takes you to see the MRI so you are prepared, etc.  I also found that when you are alone in the ultrasound room waiting to have your biopsies done and crying because you just found out that your husband can't be with you she comes and sits on the edge of the bed to comfort you and explain why and to apologize for not making sure we knew this before arriving.  Back to Sandy's call . . . she called to tell me, "I know all you are hearing is cancer, but it's not cancer.  They are cancer cells that are just sitting there and it is easily taken care of."  Well, people, it IS cancer and though it is considered a Stage 0 cancer and "easily taken care of" there is more to it than that.  "Easily taken care of" to me means schedule surgery, cut out the lumps, bid me a farewell at the door and thank me for coming.  Don't be fooled by Stage 0 cancer.  (We have become skeptical at any reassurance of anything by this point.  More on that later, maybe even another short blog post.)  Now let me say that I know this could have been 120% worse as people are diagnosed at far worse stages of cancer (ask my god-daughter who was 7 years old when she was diagnosed) and will have a far worse journey than I will.  But, cancer is never "easy" when you are the one that has it.


Anyhoo, back to not being fooled by this Stage 0 cancer.  Cancer is a scary thing with a mind of its own.  After being assured that it is localized, doesn't know how to travel to the lymph nodes and it isn't invasive, my doctor told me she has a gut feeling that there is a chance that there could be some invasive cancer.  So, she will test lymph nodes when I have surgery and I need an MRI to know for sure and to find out the exact location of the lumps to find out just how many there are.  AND I should have genetic testing done to determine if I have a mutated gene that leaves me at high risk for reoccuing cancer in the cancered up breast and the other one AND ovarian cancer.  Both of these tests will determine the extent of my treatment options.  These options are A) a lumpectomy, radiation and endocrine therapy (drugs I will take for the next five years to reduce the risk of reoccurance by 50%).  This option leaves me with a 5-25% of reoccurance of breast cancer.  B) a mastectomy, no radiation or drugs required afterwards.  This option leaves me with a 2-5% chance of reoccurrence and a grand set of new boobs.  I've breast-fed three babies and have the boobs to prove it and have dreams of a grand set of new boobs, but this isn't the way I imagined getting them.  I thought maybe I would embezzle from the kids college fund for mom's new knockers. ;)  Just kidding, of course! (A dear mom friend of mine told me "laughter is the best medicine" so I'm trying!)  So, though the new, perky boobs sound heavenly a mastectomy does not.  This doesn't fall into my idea of "easily taken care of".  Do you ladies out there agree or is it just me???  I was telling a wonderful male in my life about my appointment and that the mastectomy sounded like it could be a real  possibility and he said, "that's no big deal."  I understand his logic that a mastectomy is a little sacrifice if it is getting rid of pretty much all possibility of cancer.  But, losing a breast or even the thought of having to make the decision to lose my breast IS a big deal.  It is a very personal thing and one of the characteristics of a woman.  Yes, I realize I will have reconstructive surgery, but it is still a scary thing to be faced with.  I have to admit that after a full day of walking around in a fog, a good night's sleep, many hugs from my hubby, rereading info from my doctor and blogging I've pretty much decided to have a mastectomy if that is our best option for me to remain cancer-free for the rest of my life and that is our main objective.  I don't want to do this again.


Another thing that makes me sad is that my sisters and my girls are now at high-risk for breast cancer.  My mom friend said maybe it is my job to be the dragon slayer to pave the way and give my sisters and daughters a heads up in life so that they can be on top of their breast health.  Maybe, but I am busy and tired and . . ."Somedays I just don't feel like slaying dragons."  But, slay dragons I will for the next couple months.


From the beginning of all of this I have always felt that everything will be fine in the end and it will.  The prognosis with this type of cancer is survival and I am most thankful for that and know that many people are not that fortunate.  I have been telling people that I never felt that I would be fighting for my life, just my health.  So fight and move forward is what I will do everyday.  Will everyday be a grand day?  No, I don't think so.  I'm on a road to becoming cancer free and no matter what the cancer or stage is it isn't an easy road.  Bottom line, at the end of the day I have cancer.  Cancer doesn't always play nice or the way the doctors think it should and it is just damn scary.  But, I am doing well, I've had time to process everything and ready to move forward.  Really, there is nothing else we can do, but move forward.  We have wonderful friends and family and have amazing support.


So my blog  just took a different turn for a couple months . . . this is definitely the "life in between."


3 comments:

  1. ... and I will be one of your humble sword carrying servants to slay these said dragons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. I am in the EXACT same situation as you. I am 32, and just found out I have the same kind of breast cancer as you, same treatment options and same situation. I am from Kalispell, although my husband just joined the Navy so we recently moved to Illinois (with our two kids ages 3 and 5). I don't do Crossfit, but do eat paleo and lift weights Wendler-style, sprint and listen to Robb Wolf. I feel happy to have found your blog and am interested in reading more and connecting with you.

    Email me if you would like to connect at jessimarie1978@gmail.com. You can see more about us at our blog http://thejonesjournal.wordpress.com/.

    Wishing you the best!
    Jessica Jones

    ReplyDelete