Friday, April 1, 2011

{cilantro lime chicken and a pork roast}

I told you a few days ago that there is a reason I fail to make a dinner plan. So my hubby will put on his cooking gloves and come up with something amazing. Well, this my friends, is one of those times. This dish was delicious! I might have to put him to work in the kitchen again tomorrow with this little gem. For so few ingredients you would think that I could come up with something amazing like this, but no. I would end up staring blankly at 2 chicken breasts, an onion of a random color, a jar of jalapenos, a bunch of cilantro, a bottle of olive oil, a lime and pepper and come up with nothing! So I pass the apron to Tony and I give you, Tony's Breasts. ;) Okay, how about Cilantro Lime Chicken Roll Ups.


Cilantro Lime Chicken Roll Ups
2 Costco sized chicken breasts
1/2 red onion
6-8 slices jalapeno (this is what I used, but I would add more next time)
Cilantro
Olive oil
lime juice
Pepper

Mince cilantro (I'm not really sure if that's what you do with cilantro). Add cilantro, lime juice, pepper and olive oil to a bowl or zip lock.

Butterfly each chicken breast. Pound out chicken breast and place in marinade. Turn chicken breast in marinade every 5 minutes or so.

Dice onion and saute. Remove from heat and add finely diced jalapeno.

After the chicken has marinaded lay out the chicken flat. Spread 1/2 of the onions and jalapeno over the chicken breast and roll tightly. Place seam side down in a baking dish. Repeat with the other breast. I made sure some of the cilantro was left on the chicken when I pulled it from the marinade and also spooned some over the top before I put it in the oven.

Bake on 375 for 20 minutes. Spoon over some of the left over marinade and bake for another 12-15 minutes. Remove from oven an let stand for 5-10 minutes. You can also spoon some of the juices in the pan back over the meat to add extra flavor.

Slice and serve. Its supposed to be a mexican-ish chicken so feel free to top with salsa, or enchilada sauce (paleo friendly, of course), or just eat as is.

Enjoy!


I don't think this next "recipe" could really be called a recipe, but we will be making it often. It was so good, made quite a bit for leftovers AND the kids LOVED it! That makes it a keeper in my book! The other day I had two thawed pork loin roasts in the fridge, about 2# each. This is usually how much I make for our family. It feeds us dinner and provides us with some protein for the next day. I had planned to do something amazing with them in the crockpot, but as usual it came to crunch time for getting them in the crockpot and I hadn't made a plan and was getting ready to rush out the door. Because of this I ended up with Trina's Amazing Pulled Pork. This is the extent of my creativity in the kitchen so hold onto your seats. :)

Trina's Amazing Pulled Pork

At the speed of light throw open cupboard door, toss aside various bowls and drag the crockpot out. Hurry and plug in and turn on high before you even get the food in. Hardly a head start in the cooking process with a crockpot, but it makes you feel you are being efficient with your time.

Grab each 2# pork roast, rinse them off and toss them in the crockpot. Open a can of natural chicken broth with no MSG or preservatives and pour half the can in the crockpot, toss in a handful of dried onion flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Toss lid on crockpot as you holler at the kids to jump in the car and leave the house at lightening speed to show up late to wherever you are going.

Return home about four-ish hours later, walk in the door to the wonderful aroma of dinner fully cooked and welcoming you home. Remove lid, lower your nose to the edge of the crock and inhale deeply. Ahhhhhh! Grab two forks and attempt to lift a roast and gasp with delight as it just falls apart because it is so tender. Using both forks shred the pork, stir it up with all the juices and replace lid while you pull together the rest of your dinner while the shredded pork soaks up all the wonderful juices. Serve up pork and bask in the praises of your family!

With the non-creativeness of my cooking, the recipe HAS to read something like that. :) This recipe was really so embarrassingly easy and so incredibly yummy!

That's all I've got tonight. Go forth, cook and eat well!

No comments:

Post a Comment