Friday, April 1, 2011

{fish and radishes}

I am way behind on posting new recipes as we try them. Well, new recipes that are worth posting. So far we haven't made anything new that we wouldn't want to post. All so yummy so far. My gung-ho attitude toward cooking and trying new recipes lasted approximately two weeks. I really don't like cooking and as you will see in a future post there is a reason I leave most of it to Tony. He came up with a new recipe that was so amazing and does many nights. I can't wait to totally flake on making a dinner plan so he is forced to make it again. ;) So last week-ish I (yes, "I" did cook this time!) made both (yes, TWO recipes!) of these recipes for dinner. The tilapia was wonderful, but the radish salad was amazing! I think I will try it sometime with cucumbers. It would be so refreshing in the summer. A perfect addition to a meal enjoyed out on our deck. Oh, that makes me yearn for summer.

Almondy Coconuty Tilapia
(aka Macaroon Crusted Tilapia by Jessica at How Sweet)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
4 Tilapia fillets
2 egg whites salt & pepper, to taste

1. Food process your almonds until coarsely ground. I had no luck chopping these in the food processor. I ended up chopping them up in our Magic Bullet.
2. Combine almonds and coconut.
3. Season fish with salt and pepper.
4. Separate your egg whites from the yolks and beat lightly.

5. Dip a tilapia fillet in egg whites and roll in the almond coconut mixture until thoroughly coated. 6. Arrange your fillets on a wire rack over a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes at 425 F.

Simple Radish Salad

Makes 1 or 2 servings

4 radishes, thinly sliced

1 Tbsp olive oil

Juice of ½ a lime

2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped

a sprinkle of salt

In a small bowl combine oil, lime juice, cilantro and garlic. Toss with sliced radish and sprinkle with a little salt.


Note: I actually used about twelve radishes, but left the dressing amounts the same.


While I was making the fish A was excited we were having fish until she saw it and she asked, "Is it Paleo?" :( I said, "No, it's just a fish recipe." She ate it. T was also excited until he saw it. He did end up eating all of his fish, but picked some of the crust off. A loved the radish salad, I can't remember if K did. I don't think so.


So, if you follow my blog you probably read yesterday's post and know that I was not having a "happy go lucky" day. In fact, it was quite the opposite. It did get better, but didn't end totally cheerful. Last night I read that today's workout was a 5K row, said to my hubby a little bit panicky, "I'm going to be there all day!" and started crying. I haven't felt like I have any endurance at all and a 5K row would be a true test of that. Seriously, I feel like I have been falling apart the past couple days. The blogging did help. I figured coming home and punching my frustration out on my keyboard was better than yelling and screaming my frustration and terrifying my family. A blur of fingers at the computer isn't near as scary. So, I blogged and started to feel a little better, but I still wasn't sure even up until I left the house planning to go to the gym if I actually would go. I did decide to go and prayed that my coach wouldn't have me row the whole thing. He left it up to me. He asked if I wanted to do a 2K or a 5K, both benchmarks. I said I would do the 2K or I would be there all day. So I sat down at the rower, put my headphones in, turned my iPod on my running and rowing playlist (Riot, Sandman, Slow Drain, Hey You, etc. Hard and loud music), took a deep breath and started rowing. Having been out of my game for awhile I was shocked that I was able to row my 2K in 9:11. So trying to pull my CrossFit boots back on I dug deep and set it for another 2K and rowed it in about 9:35. Beings that I had already rowed a 4K I might as well pull a 1000m and make it a solid 5K. So in pieces I rowed a 5K today. It felt good and I was seriously shocked I was able to pull it out and feel as good as I did. I really think I could have pulled another 5K. It would have been long and sucked, but I felt like I had it in me. One of the best things about going to the gym today was chatting with my friends, R, C and K. Thank you K for taking the time to give me a hug that I desperately needed. Like I said yesterday, if it weren't for our gym community I may not be going to the gym at all.


My sister made the following comment on Facebook when I posted yesterday's blog on my profile. Thank you so much, sis! I needed that and will read it repeatedly.



"Quite some time ago, a wonderful woman gave me a book when I needed some encouragement....a reminder to celebrate wylde women...here is a phrase I found for you: 'Continuing On: almost crumbling to the ground, she stopped. looking at how far she had traveled and all it had taken to get there, she recognized her strength. the strengths she had inside of her, the strength she had gained along the way ~ her inner power. and so, she stood up. standing tall, she faced forward and continued on.' thank you for the book....♥"

No comments:

Post a Comment