Saturday, July 23, 2011

{bake'n eggs}

Time for a new recipe. I made these for the first time quite awhile ago and just made them for the second time tonight. I came across this recipe in a kid's cookbook by DK Publishing, "Kid's Fun and Healthy Cookbook".



Most of this cookbook is irrelevant to our family. Though the recipes are fun, nearly all of them aren't considered healthy by what we generally eat. We really try our best to avoid grains, legumes and dairy in our diet. Following a Paleo diet that is closely followed by the CrossFit community. However, this cookbook is easy and fun for kids to use and this recipe was perfect and just like the cookbook boasted, fun!

Baked Eggs and Ham





Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly brush four holes of a large muffin tin with a little oil. This prevents the ham from sticking.




Arrange a slice of ham in each hole. Carefully tirm the slices to make them even, but make sure that the ham is still slightly above the edge of the tin.

One by one, crack an egg into a small bowl and pour it into each ham-lined hollow. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the egg has set. BLOGGER NOTE: I had to bake these at least 20 minutes for the white to be totally firm. Any kind of egg white slime gives me the heebie-jeebies! Ugh!




Using oven mitts, remove the tray from the oven and leave it to cool for a few mintues. Carefully lift out the egg cups with a small spatula. Belly up and enjoy!




These pics were from the first batch I made awhile back. As you can see I have "blackened ham" which isn't quite the culinary treat as "blackened salmon". I baked these in my top oven which is small and the ham was pretty close to the element so the ham got pretty crispy. The second batch I made the other night turned out perfectly in my full-size oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment