Sunday, July 24, 2011

{work it baby}

Work it! That's what I have been doing in the gym. In fact, two-three days per week I am doing two-a-day workouts. My chiropractor and fellow athlete asked me "Why two-a-days? Are you making up for lost time?" No, I wouldn't say I am making up for lost time. I am just impatient and I want to get to where I was before and get there as soon as I can, but only as fast as my body will let me. I have lost time in the gym. I'm not going to get that time back. So, I make the best of the time that I have in the gym. I have the luxury of being able to hit the gym twice a day a few days a week. I have a coach that knows what I need to do and what I am capable of to get my strength back. I have the desire to be stronger than I was before. I have "the strength to rise". But, on the road to every rise there are speedbumps. :( Fortunately, for me I may be hitting my first speedbump. About ten days ago while doing pullups I started to have some new pain right at the site where one of my hernias was repaired. I'm wondering if I may have tore one open again. Ugh! I had a quick chat with my coach to see if he thinks I tried coming back too hard. He didn't think so. I haven't been moving a crazy amount of weight. I'm avoiding the movements that my surgeon said she wanted me to stay away from for a couple more weeks. I'm listening to my body and I listen closely. I take an extra rest day when I need it and I avoid a movement if it doesn't feel right even if it felt right the day before. In fact, my belly started hurting doing a movement that my surgeon said would be okay. I'm hoping it is just some tightness from scar tissue starting to stretch out with new movements and I'm worrying about nothing. I will find out on Tuesday when I pay an early visit to my surgeon at 11 weeks post surgery. I'm saying many little prayers that I won't have to have another surgery to repair another hernia. So tomorrow I will workout like I have been, carefully and mindful of what my body is telling me.


So, I have my workout journal sitting beside me so I can update my last ten days in the gym. Our workout journals are a great tool to our success in the gym and are kept in a file cabinet in the gym. Everyday we write down the date, the workout, what weight, box height or modifications we used, if the workout was scaled and our time if the workout was "for time". It is also a place to write down what was going on for the day in your world. Did you eat right? Did you eat crap for the day or the night before? Were you running on very little sleep? Anything else that you might find important for the day that may affect your workout. I also add what time I workout. All of this is important so when a workout comes back around in the gym you can look back and compare workouts to see how you have progressed over time. Last week I opened my journal and found it is also a place for a little special note from my hubby. :)


Read on for my workouts on my road back to before.


July 15, 2011
"Nutts" WOD #1
10- Dumbbell Press 15#
15-Deadlifts 95#
25 Box Jumps 18"time
25 Pullups
100 - Front squats 15# (last 40 reps I did thrusters)
200 - Double Unders
400m run
19:31

WOD #2 "Press Ladder"
Dumbbell Press 10 reps
5-8-10-15-20-25(2)
Dumbbell Push Press 8 reps
15-20-25-30(6)

July 18, 2011
WOD #1
On top of the minute 3 burpees- complete 75 thrusters, 45#.
7:43

WOD #2
Deadlift
10 reps @ 75#
8 reps @ 95#
6 reps @ 135#
4 reps @ 155#
3x3 reps @ 165#

July 19, 2011
Back Squats #115
5-5-5-5-5
Bent Over Row
12-12-12-12
65#-70#-70#-70#
Straight Leg Deadlift
8-8-8-8-
95#-95#-105#-115#

July 23, 2011
WOD #1
Snatch Balance
3-3-3-3-3
45#-50#-55#-65#-65#
then:
30 situps
30 double unders
3 rounds for time: 3:50

WOD #2
Dumbbell Bench Press Ladder-feet up
10 reps
10#-15#-20#-25#-30#

July 24, 2011
Outrigger Canoe Rowing at Whitefish Beach!!!
Gorgeous sunny day with great people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment