Monday, February 21, 2011

{a weekend with the v's}

What a wonderful weekend! It started out in the gym. You are starting to realize, if you haven't already, that I talk about the gym A LOT. The gym is a very important place to me. My family goes there together, Tony and I get to workout together from time-to-time, I get stronger, sometimes I get to step in and help people get stronger, I learn more each day and I am learning how to teach in the gym. We have great coaches that keep us motivated everyday. Throughout the year we have potlucks at the gym to enjoy our community outside of workouts. This time we had a Pink Party. Eat pink, find something pink to bring to the potluck. Wear pink, find something pink to show your support for breast cancer awareness. It was so fun seeing everybody in their pink and what they found to prepare for the potluck. We found there was a lot of salmon. :) Yum!! Everybody looked great in their pink, but I think the Hearn family may have won the prize. The guys all sported huge pink ribbons around their neck like a huge scarf and the ladies revamped their "Tuff Enough" t-shirts to make them a little more girly and added a little bling that made my laugh and a little teary all at once.

I was blessed with many hugs, words of support, a new stainless steel water bottle (because plastic is evil) and a gorgeous bouquet of flowers. After much grazing of good food and visiting with great friends, Coach B got everybody's attention and said a few words. When he was finished he broke out some new CrossFit stocking caps available for sale that Miss P ordered. Check these out! How awesome are these? We bought four total for our family, I bought one for my girlfriend in Denver and my siblings ordered six all together! Fantastic!

After Coach B finished saying a few words it was my turn. I didn't have anything planned out to say and I was starting to cry before I even had one sentence out. I hope I said enough to convey my gratitude and love for our gym community. Afterwards I kept thinking of things I wish I would have said. One thing, I wish I would have specifically acknowledged our coach and his wife. They have done so much for us in terms of support and organizing great things to show that support from them and the gym as a whole. Thank you, Buf and Penny! I love you guys. It was a great evening of friends. You can't beat that.

Later that night when Tony and I were talking about the evening I told him that one thing I haven't done enough is thank him for his love and support. I started crying immediately when I started to tell him this. I could not have made it through all of this without my dear husband. This was hard on him. I think as a spouse you would feel helpless. You can't take the pain away or make things better. He had a hard time telling people that his wife had cancer. When he called his dad to tell him he told his dad while choking up that he had bad news and then couldn't speak. He was overwhelmed with worry leading up to my surgery worrying that something would happen to me. He was stressed at the thought of taking care of everything and getting the work done that he needed to for work. After surgery he took care of me. He brought me food, he got me my meds during the day and in the middle of the night. He changed the dressings on my incisions, he emptied my drains, he dressed me, he washed my hair and soaped me up in the shower. He took care of the kids, he loved up on them, he drove me around, he went to every appointment with me, he held onto me when I cried and stroked my hair when I sobbed. He held my hand and handed me kleenex when I cried. He looked at my body after surgery like nothing had changed. . . like nothing had changed when everything had. I could go on and on, but that last thing is the one thing I needed most.

So our wonderful weekend continues. Friday night at the gym wore me out and left me pretty sore. Just being up and about, even if I'm not doing a whole lot does this to me. So Saturday morning Tony let Tyler and me sleep in (Tyler was recovering from a stomach bug) and he packed Kenna up for her first wrestling tournament. A Blue/Red Takedown Tournament. I had no idea what this was so had to ask. It's a nice short tournament. A great way to break newbies into a wrestling tournament. You win a match by scoring two takedowns. My girl kicked some butt! :-) She lost her first one and won the next two.

She didn't want to go at all and was very nervous her first match. She had no idea what to expect, but quickly figured it out. In a text I asked Tony if she was enjoying it after she had a chance to wrestle. He said she had just told him with a huge smile on her face, "I'm so proud of me!" Oh, honey, you should be! When she got home she told me, "I was so scared." I said, "That's okay. If you don't do things that scare you, you won't know what you can do."

Later that night we had friends over for drinks and munchies. We chatted, ate, had drinks, ate, laughed, laughed some more, ate, visited and laughed some more. Great times. I broke out a great "game" that Tony and discovered a few years ago when we spent our 15th anniversary at some cottages on Lake Superior. It is called "Table Topics".

It is a box of cards with "questions to start great conversations". Just like the box says, it did just that! Good times!

You can get a family one, Girl's Night Out, etc. I picked up, "Not Your Mom's Dinner Party". Pick up a box for your family or a fun night with friends. I plan to get a family one next. The kids will love it!

Sunday! Today was a good, good day. Our coach and his wife invited us to their awesome log home for brunch. They live about 30 minutes from us and it was a beautiful sunny day for a drive. The sun was shining on our winter wonderland.

We spent about three hours with them visiting and enjoying a wonderful meal. We were treated to mimosas, stuffed french toast with huckleberry sauce and fresh whipped cream (I'm pretty sure this didn't make the Paleo list, but it was amazing!) and cheesy scrambled eggs topped with a mixture of sausage and a bunch of yummy veggies. It was wonderful. After breakfast the kids went outside and enjoyed a fantastic sledding hill and roaming the mountainside. We finished up our visit with the kids warming up and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon!

Next we headed out for a little drive that would end up being the kids favorite part of the day. :) Earlier in the day, for some reason unbeknownst to me, Tony started searching for dogs in the ads online. In his search he came across an ad for a female and male purebred Welsh Corgis for sale for $100 each. Soooo, Tony called on them and we headed out for a little drive to check out the dogs. We found out that the female was no longer available because the owner thought she might be pregnant. Oops! We were interested in the male anyways so that worked okay. So when we got there we walked back out to the car with Dewey (I would have named him Jesse) and asked the kids what they thought. "What?!" "Is it ours?" "Are you serious?" :) So we are now the proud owners of a 3-year-old Welsh Corgi. So far he seems like a great, mellow dog. He loves the kids, hasn't barked once and is about as active as a cat in a sunbeam. He made himself right at home and found a great spot to sleep on the floor right beside the dog bed we bought him. Go figure! I can't wait to get him in for a good grooming. He actually looks really great, but I want him cleaned to my liking. Tony and the kids brushed him which worked for me because brushing dogs gives me the heebie-jeebies. Weird, I know, but it gets me out of brushing the dog. lol

Introducing, Dewey! Tony said he is a little dog and a big dog all rolled up in one! lol He loves being outside and rolling around in the snow. So far the honeymoon is still in effect because the kids love taking him outside, even in the cold. We have also found that he likes to sleep on the couch when everybody has gone to bed. We will be working on that. That gives me the heebie-jeebies, too. He got scolded three times last night for being on the couch. The first couple times gently, the third time was a bit more stern. Tony and I cracked up because the third time he walked just past us and sat down with his back to us and totally ignored us. Too funny! The kids love him and Tony loves having a dog in the house again. I'm still not sure what to think. But, I do feel that we gave him a better home than what he had and that makes me feel good. He made himself at home and you would think he has lived here his entire life.

We had a full, fun weekend and I love weekends like that. I hope yours was just as wonderful! Even better is okay, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment