Wednesday, February 16, 2011

{a whole lot of happy going on}

Tuesday.........

So yesterday I had some topless pictures taken. Never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed I would have the opportunity to say that or be okay sharing that on a public forum. :) I had my second follow-up appointment with my plastic surgeon yesterday to check out how the ladies are coming along. Even though I haven't been liking my new body at all and I don't like how they look I was very happy to hear that I am healing perfectly and even a little faster than normal. Great news! That was about it for my appointment as far as what my doctor needed to check out, but this time I had a list of questions. I don't always remember to do this or if I do have a list I kind of rush through my list and miss something I would like more information on. So I was very pleased with myself for leaving with all of my questions asked and answered.

  • How long do I have to wear this bra? Can I go a size up on the band? Four more weeks and "Yes. Let me get you a new one."

  • Did you use Alloderm for the "hammock" in my breast? Alloderm is a skin matrix created from donated human skin. It allows surgeons to restore many types of damaged tissue using the regenerative ability of the patient's own body. It really is amazing how it is made and used. In my case, Alloderm was used to create a "hammock" underneath the breast to create a breast crease and the appearance of a natural "sag". Lucky for me when I am 70 I will have the natural "sag" of a 38 year old. :) I want to mention that just now while looking up information again on Alloderm I came across a great website on breast reconstruction that would have been great info before surgery, not sure how I missed it, http://www.breastreconstruction.com/.

  • Why do my breasts sit so high right now? How do they settle into place? Will they soften up? They look "high" because of inflammation of the pec muscle and still a lot of fluid. At about week four the swelling will go down and they will soften and start to look better.
  • Can I hold my arms up enough to hold a barbell on my traps to do squat? Pretty much an "Um, no." :) I still can't move my arms above 90 degrees or do anything like stretch my arms way back behind me to stretch them or do any pressing movements. Also, still no lifting over 5 lbs. The reason for all this is that right now everything is weaker than it was even at surgery. The sutures inside are starting to dissolve as collagen starts to build. Since this process is just beginning, weakness sets in. If the chest muscles are taxed the collagen connections can be pulled apart and we don't want anything like that
  • What is causing my chest to randomly contract, tighten up and feel hard? Contraction of the pec muscle because they are "Over-mad". I love that medical term!

So I went into this appointment still really, and I mean REALLY, not liking my new body. But, for some reason I left being a little bit okay with it. I think it was finding out that in two weeks they would start to look and feel better. Just knowing there is an end in site and that they aren't going to feel like this forever. I was really starting to wonder if I was ever going to feel "normal" again. Now, I know in two weeks "normal" may be on it's way.

Wednesday........

How was your Wednesday? Mine was fantastic! First of all, I slept through the night. I say this with the excitement of a parent when their baby finally sleeps through the night. I have been waking up in the middle of the night and laying wide awake for hours. I'm too awake to sleep, but too tired to get up and do anything productive. It's amazing how much better you feel when you get a full night's sleep. When you sleep is when your body repairs itself so I really want those ZZZZZZZs. I'm still tired, but not exhausted today. Next, I woke up in time to shower so I had time to shave my underarms before going to the gym. :) Well, actually, I still have to have Tony shave them for me because I can't lift them high enough, crane my neck and weild a blade safely enough to do it myself. Finally, I started back at the gym today!!! My first WOD back cancer free! Oh, it felt so good. I can't even explain how wonderful it felt. Just to be at a class with Coach B, around my fellow athletes, moving, working, smiling, laughing, catching up, etc. The energy and atmosphere is intoxicating. It is a sad if your gym doesn't intoxicate you. It was glorious. A little slice of heaven in my day. My workout wasn't much of a workout compared to everybody else's, but it is amazing how you can sweat when you are doing what feels like so little. We start our workouts with hip and shoulder mobility to get our joints loosened up, warmed up and stretched out. I can't move my arms above 90 degrees yet so I could only do the hip mobility, some tiny hanging shoulder circles and a couple stretches approved by my doctor. Coach had me do a big lunging stretch to open up my hip flexors after doing a lot of sitting the past couple weeks. Now onto the workout. I am going to try to post my daily workouts to show my progression back to prescribed weight and movement. My goal is getting my 95# clean and jerk back by October for Barbells for Boobs "Amazing Grace". Maybe even a PR?

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 WOD
First day back to the gym after surgery. The focus was on waking up my core and hip flexors.

Warm-up:
Mobility work and "Kettlebell" shrugs

  • 5 one-legged squats, each leg-3 sets

  • 15 squats-2 sets

  • 15 squats-2 sets Starting with arms straight out in front, hold for a 3-count in the bottom while moving arms out to sides into a "T" and stand up.

  • 3 squats on a Bosu ball without the base. Coach calls it the pillow. Three was plenty!

There was a bonus today. My new boobs are fantastic in a workout tank! :D Well, I thought so! lol Now I just need to get rid of the grandma sports bra I have to wear for several more weeks. I always told Tony I wanted to look in my workout clothes like I do in my padded, push-up, cheater bra. Not like a 13-year-old boy in my workout clothes. It took cancer to do it, but now I finally have shape in a tight-fitting tank top. Like I said, it was a fantastic Wednesday. : ) Silver lining, folks, silver lining!

Coach B posted this today on our gym group page on Facebook:

"Our Trina came today for her first WOD / moving / smiling time !!!
I am so happy! and for Trina too ;]
Trina moved like a rock star - strong and solid as I knew she would - some happy going on here!"

I couldn't agree more! There is some happy going on here! In fact, there is a whole lot of happy going on! "Grace" here I come!

Quote of the day from my girlfriend's son, my son's little buddy, B, when he saw me right before preschool. Instantly brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. :-)

"I prayed for you that you would feel better."

Thank you, B. You made my day!

1 comment:

  1. It is awesome to see you smile again! You deserve a lifetime of smiles!! Mauh

    ReplyDelete