Monday, January 31, 2011

{the frantic calm before the storm}

This is just a post of stuff going on.  The time of getting ready for what is to come.  Today we had two pre-op appointments.  One with my oncology surgeon (I can't believe I have an oncology surgeon) and one at the hospital.  We were told what I won't be able to do with my arms after surgery.  We were shown the drains that I will have in place after the surgery and how to empty, measure and record the fluid that drains from the surgery site.  How long I will stay in the hospital (Only one night, which I think is crazy. :( But, I guess that is just me.)  Given a prescription for a beautiful (please read this with deep sarcasm) camisole that will zip up the front for ease of dressing and has pockets inside for the drain bulbs that are about the size of a lemon.  We also asked if we could see my MRI and we were given plenty of time to meet with my oncology surgeon so she could explain it to us.  The top half of my breast really is almost entirely abnormal.  The MRI showed lump after lump after lump.  She said, " Can I say from the MRI that they are DCIS?  No, but they are."   The "infected" area spanned a 5 centimeter area which really is most of my upper breast.  Not good, it does have to go.  The MRI also confirmed a lump that I felt, but one that a couple of my health providers didn't pay any attention to.  That was comforting that it was seen on the MRI and wouldn't be overlooked.   The tissue that is removed will be sent to the pathologist to see if there is any invasive cancer in my "bad" breast and my "good" breast will also be checked.  If there is any invasive cancer present.  We will deal with that and I would guess a new treatment plan when those results come back.  I try not to think about that right now.  That is a worry for another day.  She also said that she felt I made a good decision to have a mastectomy in my "good" breast for symmetrical reasons.  She doesn't know that this reason played the smallest role in my decision.  However, I trust my doctor and I felt good knowing that she felt I made a good decision. 

Next, we walk over to the hospital.  And, of course, it had to be the most Arctic like day in the Flathead Valley.  Brrrr!  Damn, it was a cold day in Kalispell! So, once we get into the warmth of Patient Registration we were directed to Admitting where I filled out another form that is just like a dozen other forms I have filled out and then a nurse took us back to sign a dozen more forms and to give us info on our anesthesiologist and I got to sign a form to have a free foot or shoulder massage before surgery.  Yes, ma'am!  Especially since my cousin is the massage therapist.  Also, my aunt is the OR Managing Nurse so my OR team was hand-picked by her and she quilts with my oncology surgeon.  This offers nothing to her skills as a surgeon, but I like that my aunt knows her socially and really likes her.  I feel like I am in pretty good hands. :D  My surgeon said we will be treated like queens.  Roll out the red carpet  when they wheel me out of the OR into recovery maybe.  I'll pack my best red carpet hospital gown and slippers!

Something we have discovered with a major medical situation is that surprises seem to pop up all the time.  Like being reassured that it would be shocking if anything was found on the mammogram. Bam! Biopsies.  99.9% sure there was no cancer. Bam!  Cancer.  Go home with these sample implants and choose a size.  Bam!  Sorry, the plastic surgeon will determine your initial implant size.  Registration and Admitting Pre-Op appointment. Bam!  Let's draw three vials of blood and take a chest x-ray.  Where the hell does a blood draw and x-ray fit into signing papers.  Neither were a big deal, but I like to know what to expect.  

So, that was our afternoon of pre-op appointments. We were both a little drained after we were done and our night started pretty quiet.  For me, I just flat-out don't want to have this done to my body.  I get it is for my health, but I don't want my chest tore apart and then pieced back together to look "normal".  For Tony, he said his biggest worry is something happening to me during surgery.  That breaks my heart.  I have thought about that, but I push that thought out of my mind because I don't want to think about that.  I want to believe all is going to be well on the other side.  I hope I get to that other side quickly and can get used to my new body and be okay with it sooner than later.

My surgery is scheduled for Wednesday at noon.  From what I have read it looks like surgery with the reconstruction could take 3-4 hours.  Ugh!  It doesn't matter to me as I will be sleeping, but I feel bad for Tony and my sister who may be keeping him company.  That is a long time to wait for a loved one in surgery.  That is brutal.  :(   What hasn't been lately, I ask?

We had to make plans for our kids for after school.  A wonderful family friend, Grandma Sandy, is going to come to our house at 3:30 to be here when the kids get home.  My girlfriend, S, will have Ty for the day and will bring him to our house after her son gets out of school and more wonderful friends, C & L, will make sure our girls get home after school.  It is a crazy bunch of organizing, but it worked out just fine.  Thanks to two fantastic ladies at Tony's office we will have dinner to put in the crockpot before we head to the hospital so there will be dinner at our house in the evening for the crew waiting at home.  Tony has my list of people I want contacted, he has his list, my grandma is lined up to pass post-surgery details onto my dad's side of the family and I will ask my sister to contact my dad and siblings.  Tony will also be posting to our gym's Facebook group page and to his status so keep an eye out for that.  As soon as I am able I will do the same.  It might be a little while so hang tight! :)  I think our bases are covered for Wednesday.

We have help lined up.  One of my sisters is coming tomorrow night, will head home Wednesday and then come back Friday to help for the weekend.  My dad will be home Thursday for at least a week and my other sister will be home next Thursday for the weekend.  Thanks to our gym we have some meals coming our way courtesy of some generous cooks so my family won't starve while I am down.  Which they wouldn't anyways because Tony does most of the cooking even when I am well. :D  My hairstylist and friend even offered to shampoo and fix my hair for me because I won't be able to lift my arms past 90 degrees for quite a while.  Fabulous!

So, as far as we know we might...kind of ... maybe...have things somewhat organized and we are ready for this.....umm, like I said, kind of, sort of.  I really don't think we will know exactly what we will need until we are in the middle of it.  So thank you to everybody who has offered us a helping hand.  We greatly appreciate it and you just might hear from us! ;)  Much love to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment